Sustainable Apartments / Heritage Response – Brunswick East
Back to Projects
The architectural drawings were prepared by NRN Architects.
Proposal: Part Demolition & Construction of Five storey mixed use building with café, office, 3 dwellings and car parking waiver.
The balanced design response provides:
- Retention of the existing heritage shopfront;
- Provision of a consistent street wall;
- Upper level setbacks which retain the focus on the street wall;
- Provision of an office space and employment in a location where the majority of developments focus on residential yield;
- All apartments are fully accessible and exceed the requirements of Standard D17;
- One apartment per level, providing a unique product;
- Apartments achieve 6.9 Star NaTHERS energy rating, providing sustainable and liveable dwellings;
- A 7kW solar panel system is proposed, ensuring energy consumption from fossil fuels is reduced.
Project is ongoing, at planning stage.
Trí Spatial Planning were engaged at concept stage to work alongside the architects, providing planning and sustainable design advice throughout the design process.
We prepared all planning report documentation, in addition to a Sustainable Design Assessment, submitted to Council at application stage.
Our work included:
- Policy, context and precedence review;
- Advice at concept stage as to a suitable built-form response, including streetscape and internal amenity;
- Advice regarding achieving compliance with Council policy and anticipation of Council expectations;
- Design review from concept stage through to lodgement with Council;
- Preparation of Urban Context and Clause 58 Planning report;
- Preparation of Sustainable Design Assessment.
Working hand-in-hand with the architects, we could apply a holistic approach to this development proposal. This has allowed for all competing requirements to be integrated into decision making, where a balanced outcome has been achieved.